MySql JDBC Connection Error: CTGDIJ109E Communications link Failure
monnewbie3
2018-10-09 11:34:38 UTC
Hey Guys,

I've recently updated our Mysql DB Server from 5.5 to 5.7.

2 of my TDI boxes are now throwing errors when trying to connect to the upgraded Mysql DB:

/**
java.lang.Exception: CTGDIJ109E Unable to connect to the database (Communications link failure The last packet successfully received from the server was 19 milliseconds ago. The last packet sent successfully to the server was 19 milliseconds ago.). Verify that all the database connection parameters are correctly specified.
CTGDIJ109E Unable to connect to the database (Communications link failure

The last packet successfully received from the server was 19 milliseconds ago. The last packet sent successfully to the server was 19 milliseconds ago.). Verify that all the database connection parameters are correctly specified.
**/

I have other JDBC clients that connect fine, using the same JAR file that was dropped into "3rd Party" directory.
The Connection and login is correct, confirmed from 3 other JDBC clients on different Computers.

I've changed many configuration options on the MySql side to no avail.
The DB is seeing the connection, but is adding it to the "Dropped clients" lists.

If anyone has any suggestions what I might be missing that would be great :)

Thanks,
monnewbie3
2018-10-09 11:59:32 UTC
Post by monnewbie3
[...]
As a Last resort I started swapping Jar files.. since my TDI is using Java 1.6.0 and my other JDBC clients are on 1.8.
Turns out a much older version of the MySql jar file magically started working.
Hopefully this can at least serve as a placeholder in case someone else has these issues.

Cheers,
Eddie Hartman
2018-10-10 17:18:36 UTC
Post by monnewbie3
Post by monnewbie3
[...]
Have you seen this post?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6865538/solving-a-communications-link-failure-with-jdbc-and-mysql

/Eddie
monnewbie3
2018-10-23 13:57:39 UTC
Post by monnewbie3
Post by monnewbie3
[...]
Hey Eddie,

This was actually my first stop. Followed all the steps listed there, but still nothing.
I ran a TCP dump and was getting a handshake error, so I figured it had to be something related to that.
Swapping out the driver solved it for me :)

Cheers,