Microsoft Access DB Connection with Java 1.8
Chris
2020-04-14 22:41:02 UTC
It seems that the jdbc driver used when connecting to a MS-Access database (sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver) is no longer supported after updating TDI's JRE to Java 1.8.

Has anyone figured out how to make a connection from TDI to an Access database without that driver?

Cheers,
Chris
Franzw
2020-04-15 06:43:58 UTC
Post by Chris
It seems that the jdbc driver used when connecting to a MS-Access database (sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver) is no longer supported after updating TDI's JRE to Java 1.8.
Has anyone figured out how to make a connection from TDI to an Access database without that driver?
Cheers,
Chris
A quick search on Google got me this article that I believe MAY work - but there seems to more ways : https://www.benchresources.net/jdbc-msaccess-database-connection-steps-in-java-8/

I have not tried out the the driver mentioned - but I would be surprised if it does not work...

Pleas let use know if this worked :-)

Chris
2020-05-19 21:24:50 UTC
Post by Franzw
Post by Chris
It seems that the jdbc driver used when connecting to a MS-Access database (sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver) is no longer supported after updating TDI's JRE to Java 1.8.
Has anyone figured out how to make a connection from TDI to an Access database without that driver?
Cheers,
Chris
A quick search on Google got me this article that I believe MAY work - but there seems to more ways : https://www.benchresources.net/jdbc-msaccess-database-connection-steps-in-java-8/
I have not tried out the the driver mentioned - but I would be surprised if it does not work...
Pleas let use know if this worked :-)
Franz,

Yes! It worked.

The link you sent is a fair tutorial, and it has links to the jar files you need. BUT, the links are kind of out-dated, and there are version dependencies amongst them. So, I recommend going here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ucanaccess/files/ and downloading the latest "package" (currently UCanAccess-5.0.0-bin.zip). The five files jar files will all be in there. Currently, commons-lang3-3.8.1.jar, commons-logging-1.2.jar, hsqldb-2.5.0.jar, jackcess-3.0.1.jar, and ucanaccess-5.9.9.jar. I created a UCanAccess directory under <install dir>/jars/3rdparty/others and dropped the 5 jar files in there, then bounced my server and CE.

For connector setup:
JDBC URL: jdbc:ucanaccess://C:/Temp/TestDB.accdb (obviously, use the path/filename or YOUR Access DB)
JDBC Driver: net.ucanaccess.jdbc.UcanaccessDriver

And that's really it. I haven't tried any heavy lifting yet, but I was able to do simple Insert, Update, Delete, and Select stuff, including with connector loops, so all seems well so far.

Actual mileage may vary, of course... I'm running:
TDI 7.1.1.9 on Windows 10, with updated JRE to v1.8.

Cheers,
Chris
Franzw
2020-05-20 11:32:15 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Franzw
Post by Chris
[...]
Good to see you got it working and thanks for confirming the needed steps.

It is expected that a web site like that is not 100% correct - and I am not going to validate every link I suggest - I hope that is not perceived as a problem :-) - it is about FINDING a solution - not PROVIDING it :-)

Keep me challenged...